The journey for Pleasant Grove Missionary Baptist Church began in 1872. The great 5th Ward was a very small community when Pleasant Grove Missionary Baptist Church was founded by Reverend Stewart, who was pastor of the Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
In a short time the church had bought property at Opelousas and Clark Street and created a beautiful church building. .
Pleasant Grove was led by 15 Pastors between 1872 and 1945. Pleasant Grove Missionary Baptist Church continues to grow spiritually, financially and numerically. The services' crowds were always phenomenal. In 1921, the old church came down and the new facility was built at Clark and Conti Street, where it is still standing. .